Monday, February 21, 2011

Don’t take no for an answer

-Can I help you?
In 99 of 100 possible cases the answer you get from asking this question will be “no, thanks”. This is not the answer you like to get when exhibiting at that congress you spent a lot of time and money to be present at. Instead, try starting with a question to which the answer is not yes or no. Try starting with questions like “where are you from”, “what type of business are you in”, what is you research interest”, “what do you think about this interesting product”, or similar questions that demands more of an answer than simply a yes or a no.
I was in a clothing store once just browsing around. Instead of giving me the “can I help you” question the clerk turned to me with a pair of trousers in her hands.
-What do you think about these? she asked me. Just got them in this morning.
She instantly gained my interest and now she had the opportunity to show me something additional.
At a different occasion I was trying on a shirt at a department store when a shop assistant came up to me.
-You do look good in that color, she said. That shirt suits you very well.
I ended up buying the shirt.
My colleague told me about when he was admiring a coat in a clothing store once. The salesman approached him.
-Do you think you’re worth it? he asked.
That question has only one answer and that answer is yes. My colleague went straight out of the store to withdraw money from the cash machine whereupon he went straight back in to get the coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment