Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Walk the extra mile

On my way back from a meeting in Germany I became aware of the fact that the airport in Munich was hit by an electronic meltdown and hence all luggage was let behind. Subsequently, upon arrival to Stockholm I took a taxi home without my bag. Although I knew that this was nobody's fault, I was annoyed by this obstacle. However, my luggage was on the next flight to Stockholm and deliverd to my door the same evening. They could have chosen to wait until the day after and delivered my bag during office hours, but they didn't. Due to this excellent service I will continue to fly with Star Alliance also in the future.
In my work, I frequently care of visitors from various parts of the world. For dinner I often take our guests to Domtrappkällaren, a local restaurant in Uppsala. Usually the waiter gives a short presentation on the history of the facilities and on the food to be served. While waiting for the dishes, small appetizers are served in advance what's ordered. Complimentary as a little extra. I have chosen to return to this place with my company again and again.
Companies that have chosen to walk the extra mile and to give that little extra to its customers tend to increase the number of regular customers. These customers tend to be more tolerant and understanding when they run into troubles with your products. To a greater extent will they also stick with you as a supplier during more difficult times.

2 comments:

  1. Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post is simply great and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.


    Plumber lawrenceville

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. I'm pleased to see that you find this of your interest.

    ReplyDelete